13th ENEN PhD Event & Prize 2019
FISA 2019 and EURADWASTE ´19 Conferences,
9th European Commission Conferences on Euratom Research and Training in
Safety of Reactor Systems and Radioactive Waste Management
Pitesti, Romania, 4 – 7 June 2019
13th ENEN PhD Prize 2019 will be organized in the framework of the FISA 2019 and EURADWASTE´19 Conferences in Pitesti, Romania, 4 – 7 June 2019 (http://fisa-euradwaste2019.nuclear.ro/) by the European Nuclear Education Network (ENEN) Association, in cooperation with the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission.
The objectives of the ENEN PhD Event are:
- to provide a forum for PhD students to present their research work to their fellows and colleagues in a friendly but competitive spirit,
- to promote the research work of PhD students in the nuclear fields, in particular experimental
- to set up a bridge between PhD students and professionals in the nuclear field.
2. Date and venue
Students will be admitted to the FISA 2019 and EURADWASTE´19 Conferences for all four days, June 4 – 7, 2019.
All PhD students will participate in the poster session on June 4th and conference welcome cocktail.
Competition presentations will take place on Wednesday, June 5th, 2019. Award ceremony of the ENEN prize will be held on the same day.
All participants are requested to attend the poster session, the competition event and the award ceremony of the ENEN Prize.
FISA 2019 and EURADWASTE´19 Conferences will take place in Pitesti, Romania and will be hosted by the Institute for Nuclear Research (RATEN ICN)
3. General program
The event will consist of up to 12 PhD presentations nominated by ENEN Members and selected by the ENEN PhD Prize Jury. The event will be divided into several sessions according to the subjects. The participants will make a presentation of their research work for 25 minutes followed by 5 minutes questions and discussion.
All presentations will be judged by the Jury members on the submitted paper as well as on the quality of their presentation and on the clarity in the discussion while answering the questions and discussions. Three best presentations will be awarded the ENEN Prize. Please see the “Criteria and Procedure for the ENEN Prize” in Annex I.
The Award Ceremony of the ENEN Prizes will be held during the FISA 2019 and EURADWASTE´19 Conferences, on Wednesday, June 5th, 2019.
The members of the Jury (to be confirmed):
- Filip Tuomisto (Aalto University, Finland) CHAIR
- Petre Ghitescu (University Politechnica Bucharest, Romania)
- Francisco Javier Elorza (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain)
- Andreas Pautz (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne, Switzerland)
- Iztok Tiselj (Jožef Stefan Institute, Slovenia)
- Piero Ravetto (CIRTEN, Italy)
- Danny Lathouwers (TU Delft, The Netherlands)
- Csilla Pesznyak, (BME, Hungary)
The detailed program will be available after the selection of the participants is completed (See 6).
This Event is supported by the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission.
4. Qualification for application
Applicants should be either
- PhD students studying or working at the ENEN Members in any nuclear field, or
- those who completed their PhD studies at an ENEN Member after the application deadline of the previous ENEN PhD Event, i.e. 31 May 2018.
The criteria for selection of the participants are:
- Quality of his/her research work,
- Enough achievements at least as same as the 3rd year of PhD student, and
- No balance among the participating countries is taken into account.
Conference papers submitted to the Event will be included in the Conference proceedings (details will be announced later).
All abstract, papers and presentations provided for the Event will be shared among the ENEN
Members after the Event.
All participants are requested to attend the Event and the award ceremony of the ENEN Prize.
For the selected PhD students, up to 12 students, ENEN will support travel expenses with a lump sum of 650 EUR.
5. How to apply
1) Send the Application form (See link) detailing the following information:
- Contact details of the student
- Contact details of the nominating ENEN Member
- Status of the PhD study
- Recommendation by ENEN Member
- Scientific CV and publication list
- Two-page abstract of the research work to be presented
2) by e-mail to:
Jožef Stefan Institute
3) Before the Deadline of the Application: 15 February 2019, Extended !!
NOTE: All selected participants will be requested to comply with the schedule below.
6. Time schedule
31 January 2019 Deadline for the application (See 5)
4 -7 February 2019 Jury meeting for selection
11 February 2019 Inform the selected students of the final program (by e-mail)
By 28 February 2019 Selected students are requested to confirm their participation in the event and the awarded ceremony (by e-mail). The draft program is submitted to the Conference organizer.
NOTE: No confirmation before end of 28 February 2019 will be considered as default.
16 March 2019 Deadline of the submission of abstracts in conference format (1 page), send by email to email@example.com
Before 30 April 2019 Registration of all participants at the conference (Necessary instructions will be given later)
15 May 2019 Deadline of the submission of full-length papers in conference format (http://fisa-euradwaste2019.nuclear.ro/guidelines-for-participants/) - send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
30 May 2019 Deadline of the submission of presentation by the participants – send by email to email@example.com
5 June 2019 13th ENEN PhD Event
All participants are requested to bring a power point presentation by a memory stick to the Event.
A group picture will be taken during the Event.
5 June 2019 Award ceremony of the ENEN Prize.
Jožef Stefan Institute
Reactor Engineering Division
Jamova cesta 39
Tel.: +386 1 5885 331
Fax.: +386 1 5885 377
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com